지요 is added to words when a question is being asked. When somebody uses 지요 in their questions it means they already know the answer, but they just want to double-check it.
지요 often changes in 죠 in honorific speech.
- Present tense: ~지요
- Past tense: ~았지요, ~었지요, ~했지요
- Future tense: ~겠지요
In the case of verbs, adjectives and nouns (nouns with no final consonant) ~지요 must be used. For nouns which end in a final consonant ~이지요 must be used.
- You know this dress, right? It was your dress. / 이 드레스 알죠? 당신의 드레스였어요.
- It was delicious, right? / 맛있었죠?
- You will forget, won’t you? / 잊어버리겠지?
- 이 = this
- 드레스 = dress
- 알다 = to know, to understand
- 당신 = you
- 이다 = to be
- 맛있다 = to be delicious
- 잊어버리다 = to forget